POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: SPECIAL PROJECTS ASSOCIATE
LOCATION: BOSTON, MA
Are you a natural relationship-builder looking to collaborate across a dynamic organization? Are you a results-oriented project manager with the ability to juggle multiple work streams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment? Are you passionate about social change and looking to learn about working on the cutting edge of social entrepreneurship, philanthropy and policy with one of the coolest, influential leaders around?
New Profit is seeking an exceptional person to be an extension of our Founder and CEO as her Special Projects Associate. Under her direction, you will drive relationship management and engagement with an incredible network of social entrepreneurs, philanthropists, policymakers, and thought leaders. You will serve as air-traffic controller to leverage her time effectively, working in concert with her Executive Assistant. You will be an invaluable sidekick, going to a lot of meetings and talking through ideas, impressions, and issues as they arise. You will work across the whole organization on new and ongoing projects, playing a key role in ensuring that New Profit achieves its mission and ambitious growth strategy.
This position offers the opportunity to learn and grow with a high-performing team and outstanding network, and will serve as a leadership development path for you to launch your career in the social sector. Reporting directly to the Chief of Staff, the Special Projects Associate will also work closely with members of the Development and Executive teams.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess highly developed interpersonal, networking and influencing skills, superior organizational and prioritization abilities, strong and demonstrated judgment and tact, the ability to juggle multiple projects and details while driving toward deadlines, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, intense and entrepreneurial environment.
New Profit’s Mission and Goals
New Profit is a pioneering venture philanthropy fund (501c3). The organization’s mission is to break down barriers to opportunity in America by transforming the way we educate our children, propel people towards social and financial stability, and create healthy communities. Since being founded in 1998, New Profit has collaborated with philanthropists, foundations, businesses, policy advocates and other entities to help drive more than $1 billion towards bold and innovative social problem solving. We believe that no organization or sector can create transformative social change on its own, which is why our unique, collaborative model brings together three key drivers of social impact:
We invest in visionary leaders to help them scale high-impact solutions.
We advocate for public policy that leads to better outcomes and more efficient use of resources.
We build community and public dialogue around bold new approaches to social change.
- Provide critical, high-level support and guidance to New Profit’s Founder and CEO: track priorities to ensure time and attention is focused most effectively, with a particular focus on development/fundraising activity
- Anticipate and respond to the Founder and CEO’s needs relative to upcoming meetings and events; coordinate and manage appropriate resources
- Diligently manage, track, and prioritize the Founder and CEO’s email; draft, write, edit, proof emails and letters
- Participate in and prepare the Founder and CEO for development meetings; coordinate and communicate with Development team members; track and capture all of the Founder and CEO’s fundraising activities in Salesforce
- Write/edit speeches and create PowerPoint slides for and with the Founder and CEO in preparation for external speaking events
- Assist with special projects as needed, including research, annual events, and emergent opportunities
Candidate Competencies and Qualifications
- 2-5 years professional experience, preferably with at least 2 years of experience in a rapid-growth, entrepreneurial organization
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with ability to write in and capture the Founder and CEO’s voice
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment, simultaneously lead multiple projects and effectively prioritize time and tasks
- Proven ability to network with and influence individuals at all levels of an organization, as well as external constituents
- High level of maturity, empathy, and grace under pressure
- Superior organizational skills, commitment to high-quality work product, and attention to detail
- Strong command of Microsoft Office programs, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to respond adeptly to rapidly changing priorities
- Unwavering commitment to service and customer orientation
- Strong learning orientation – the ability to learn and grow from mistakes and the desire to constantly improve and grow
- Fundraising and Development experience strongly preferred
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com with the following subject line: “Application –Special Projects Associate to the CEO.” Letters should be addressed to Lavon N. Fairclough. In your letter, please outline how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and state how you heard about this opportunity. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
New Profit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. New Profit is an equal opportunity employer.