Amazing work is being done in the New Profit community everyday! Here are some recent highlights from our game changing organizations, partners, and friends.
- Year Up: Stephanie Pinto: Investing in Personal Growth Stephanie Pinto, a fund administrator at the State Street Corporation and former Year Up attendee, was interviewed by the New York Times. "In 2012 I attended Year Up, a yearlong national program for urban youth that worked with me on my job skills and sent me to Cambridge College for a semester. Then they matched me with State Street for a six-month internship. Afterward, the company hired me as a pricing specialist. I was promoted to fund administrator in 2014."
- Voto Latino: Meet the Women of Election 2016 Maria Teresa Kumar, president and CEO of Voto Latino, was recently featured in a Glamour Magazine article. "Sure, there are two female presidential candidates—but women are everywhere behind the scenes too. Watch these key players; they're running the show." Kumar is a valued member of the New Profit community and was one of the participants in our first Google+ Hangout!
- KIPP: Atalia Castro, KIPP Houston "Atalia shares what 'reaching higher together' means to her as a KIPP alumna. Footage from KIPP School Summit 2015"
- Sama Group: How Sama's New Initiatives Aim To Help Workers In The U.S. And Africa Find Meaningful Work "The nonprofit is expanding, launching a new online curriculum and a beauty line to open new avenues out of poverty." Leila Janah, Founder and CEO of Samasource, is one of seven social entrepreneurs in New Profit's Accelerator Program.
And as a bonus here are some #ThrowbackThursday videos from two of our amazing portfolio organizations!
- Citizen Schools: 20th Anniversary Gala Video "AmeriCorps Teaching Fellow Carlos walks us through a day at Citizen Schools." Citizen Schools is a past New Profit portfolio organization.
- FoodCorps: Jessica Alba and Christopher Gavigan of Honest, Service Member Noel Webster Talk FoodCorps on The Rachael Ray Show "What does Rachael Ray have in common with Jessica Alba and Christopher Gavigan of The Honest Company? FoodCorps! Rachael loves that AmeriCorps service members with FoodCorps are so passionate about serving up change that over half of them return for a second year. Christopher and Jessica love that FoodCorps is igniting a conversation around food. Listen to them share their love and get a glimpse of a service member in action on the ground."