Tags: announcements, Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Citizen Schools, College-Ready Education, Corporation for National and Community Services, Freelancers Union, Health Leads, Jumpstart, KIPP, Management Leadership for Tomorrow, MLT, New Profit Innovation Fund, NPIF, Organizations, Presidential Briefing Book, social entrepreneurship, Teach For America, 2016 Election, America Forward Coalition, Amplify Blog, focus funds, Gates Foundation, LIFT, Melinda Gates, SIF, Social Innovation Fund, The Gathering, The Gathering of Leaders, Vanessa Kirsch, venture philanthropy, Year Up
Tags: Be The Change Inc., Bicycle, Freelancers Union, low income, Marco Zappacosta, Math, Monique Rizer, NPR, Opportunity Nation, Organizations, Public School, Rep. Jason Chaffetz, Senator Mark Warner, Social Innovation News, Teach For America, AJC.com, Amplify Blog, College Scorecard, D.C. Public Schools, District Department of Transportation, Gig-Economy, Marcela Sapone, Michelle Miller, Politico, RAND Corporation, Sara Horowitz, TFA, venture philanthropy, Walker-Jones Education Campus, Washington Post
Tags: Bill Gates, Boston, Commonwealth, Freelancers Union, High School Redesign, learning and attention issues, MAPFS, Mashable, Organizations, Pay For Success, PFS, Policy Makers, Reimagine Learning Fund, Reimagine Learning Fund, Request for Information, RFI, Richard Branson, Sarah Groh, Senior Analyst, social emotional learning, Social Innovation News, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Amplify Blog, City of Boston, Dyslexia, Fast Company, Freelance, Mayor Walsh, Melinda Gates, Policy Influencers, Sara Horowitz, Technology, The Office of the Chief of Education, venture philanthropy, Virgin
Tags: Freelancers Union, MLT, Organizations, Personalized Learning, Reinvestment, social impact, Social Innovation News, Stanford Social Innovation Review, The Atlantic, Amplify Blog, Daniel Goleman, EdSurge, Emotional Intelligence, soft skills
Tags: Arne Duncan, Freelancers Union, Organizations, SAT, Social Innovation News, STEM, suspension, The Atlantic, Common Core, EdSurge, Student Debt, Technology, The Huffington Post, Android, Betsy Corcoran, Corinthian 15m, Play for Education at Google, Stacey Wang, Standardized Exams, UCLA's Center for Civil Rights Remedies, Jacob Saperstein, Julie Garago, NewSchools Venture Fund, Rolling Jubilee, Shauntel Poulson, U.S Education Secretary
Here's five social innovation links we are clicking on today:
- New Profit Blog: New Profit Joins Partners for Launch of Understood.org "New Profit was a proud participant in last week’s launch event in New York City for Understood.org – a first-of-its-kind, comprehensive web resource for parents of children with learning and attention issue."
- Education World: 'Eye to Eye' Program Seeks to Change Perception of Learning Disabilities "'Eye to Eye' is a program co-founded by David Flink, who suffered as a misunderstood student with dyslexia when he was in grade school. Flink co-founded Eye to Eye with four other Brown students in 1998, and the program focuses on talking about learning disabilities as a different way of thinking as opposed to an academic setback. The Brown Herald Daily recently reported on the positive effects 'Eye to Eye' has had on students." New Profit is a proud funder and partner of Eye to Eye.
- NPR: Is The 'Skills Gap' Really A Thing? "Employers complain about not having enough skilled workers to fill needed positions. It's the so-called skills gap that has become a buzzword in business and policymaking worlds. But is the skills gap a myth, reality or somewhere in between?"
- Freelancers Union: How Great Entrepreneurs Make Time for Learning "Over the next few months, my content business ramped up. I found myself with less and less free time — working 14 hour days, missing out on time with friends, and spending my waking hours on growing my company and not letting my health slide. I was learning on the job but found myself wanting more learning opportunities than the days would enable. It was a tough balance to strike.One of the biggest lessons that I’ve learned about growing my business is that it’s important to set up processes early — to streamline as many initiatives as possible so that the company is always moving forward. Now that I’m a year into my journey, it’s hit me that this same philosophy applies to my personal learning milestones as well. Here are some steps that I have taken to bring learning back into my journey:" Freelancers Union is a past New Profit portfolio organization.
- The New York Times: California Leads on Justice Reform "For a long time, the conventional political wisdom was that no one ever lost an election for being too tough on crime. That wisdom has been turned on its head in recent years, as both politicians and the public are realizing how much damage the lock-’em-up mind-set has caused...An encouraging example [of reform] comes from California, the site of some the worst excesses of the mass incarceration era, but also some of the more innovative responses to it."
Tags: Citizen Schools, Forbes, Freelancers Union, Huffington Post, Organizations, Social Innovation News, Data, EdSurge, Ferguson, LA Times, Mission Measurement, Technology, Eric Shwarz, FUEL education, Sarah Horowitz