Tags: EducationDIVE, Hillary Clinton, inequality, Rural, Social Innovation News, South Side Weekly, Stanford Social Innovation Review, STEM, Amplify Blog, Diversity Equity and Inclusion, Pre-Primary Education, President Trump, The New York Times, Theirworld, Urban, venture philanthropy, Voter Turnout
With three weeks until the 2016 election, America Forward’s 18 Today’s Student Organizers are on the ground in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida mobilizing students, and generating a powerful dialogue about the barriers today’s college students face.
Tags: Donald Trump, education, Hillary Clinton, social innovation, Social Innovation News, #AFPresidential16, America Forward Coalition, Amplify Blog, Post-Secondary Education, #TodaysStudent, venture philanthropy
One year ago, America Forward launched its 2016 Presidential engagement effort with the formal release of our Presidential briefing book entitled Moving America Forward: Innovators Lead the Way to Unlocking America’s Potential. Moving America Forward represents the best ideas and most effective approaches to addressing the biggest challenges facing our nation, ideas shaped by our social innovators that offer a wealth of opportunities for policymakers to scale social results into national impact.
Tags: Hillary Clinton, Juanita Tolliver, Ohio, Republican, Sarah Groh, America Forward Coalition, Amplify Blog, Ben Carson, College, Democratic, Jessica Crawford, Pennsylvania, Presidential, Social Innovation Fund
What is Faces of New Profit? It’s a spotlight on members of the New Profit community, why they do what they do, and who they are. This week, we talk to Sarah Groh…
Tags: Hillary Clinton, James Taylor, Juanita Tolliver, Kid President, Lennon & Maisy, Maya Angelou, Sarah Groh, America Forward Coalition, Amplify Blog, Erykah Badu, Faces of New Profit, Janelle Monae, New Profit Staff, President Teddy Roosevelt
With the 2016 election cycle well underway, the America Forward coalition is leveraging the opportunity to lift up innovative work in the social sector. Through bi-partisan outreach America Forward is urging the next President to look to breakthrough work happening at the community level to scale up solutions. taking the opportunity to bring organizations working on our country’s most pressing social issues to the forefront of discussion.
The following post was written by Juanita Tolliver, Manager at America Forward.
Last week, Inside Philanthropy published a new "50 Most Powerful Women in Philanthropy List" that includes our Founder & CEO, Vanessa Kirsch, and other extraordinary women from across the social impact landscape.
Tags: Barbara Dalio, bill and melinda gates foundation, Bloomberg Philanthropies, Board of Directors, Cari Tuna, Carol Larson, Caterpillar Foundation, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Clara Miller, Connie Ballmer, Diller-von Furstenberg Family Foundation, Emerson Collective, Hillary Clinton, Jacki Zehner, JPB Foundation, Judith Rodin, Julia Stasch, Karen Ackman, Kathleen McLaughlin, Kerry Sullivan, Kim Dennis, Kim Laughton, LaJune Montgomery Tabron, Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen, Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen Foundation, Leon Levy Foundation, Lyda Hill, MacArthur Foundation, Marilyn Simons, Melissa Berman, Ms. Foundation, NEO Philanthropy, NoVo Foundation, Packard Foundation, Pam Omidyar, Patricia Harris, Paul G. Allen Family Foundation, Pershing Square Foundation, philanthropy, PNC Foundation, Priscilla Chan, Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, robert wood johnson foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Salesforce Foundation, Sally Osberg, Schusterman Family Foundation, Schwab Charitable, Searle Freedom Trust, Shelby White, Simons Foundation, social entrepreneurship, social innovation, Social Innovation News, the Ballmer Group, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, The Buffett Early Childhood Fund, The Omidyar Group, the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation, Tides, Alexandra Cohen, Alice Walton, Amplify Blog, Amy Danforth, Bank of America Charitable Foundation, Barbara Picower, Case Foundation, Dalio Foundation, Deb Elam, Diane von Furstenberg, Donna P. Hall, F.B. Heron Foundation, Fidelity Charitable, GE Foundation, Good Ventures, Harnisch Foundation, Jane Greenfield, Jean Case, Jennifer Buffett, Jody Allen, Kriss Deiglmeier, Laura and John Arnold Foundation, Laura Arnold, Laurene Powell Jobs, Lynn Schusterman, Melinda Gates, Michael and Susan Dell Foundation, Michele Lord, Michele Sullivan, President and CEO, Ruth Ann Harnisch, Sally McCrady, Skoll Foundation, Steven and Alexandra Cohen Foundation, Sue Desmond-Hellmann, Susan Buffett, Susan Dell, Suzanne DiBianca, Teresa Younger, The Lyda Hill Foundation, The Sherwood Foundation, Vanguard Charitable, venture philanthropy, w.k. kellogg foundation, Walmart Foundation, Walton Family Foundation, Women Donors Network, Women Moving Millions
Here's five social innovation links we are clicking on today:
- College Summit: Educator and College Access Expert Keith Frome Named College Summit CEO-Elect "Keith Frome, an educator and innovator, has joined College Summit as the organization’s CEO-elect. College Summit is one of the nation’s largest non-profits dedicated to college access, increasing the likelihood that low-income youth enroll in and graduate from college and other post-secondary institutions. It serves 36,000 low-income high school students in more than 40 school districts throughout the country." New Profit is a proud funder of College Summit.
- SSIR: A New Donor Code of Conduct "Given that the vast majority of projects would never get off the ground without some source of funding, donors are in an ideal position to stem the flow of those that are poorly thought-out or inadequately planned. So, what if all major philanthropic foundations signed a Donors Charter that encourages much greater scrutiny of any technology-based projects they might be considering funding?...The charter would be available online, offering considerably more guidance and transparency for anyone looking for money for their project. Critically, the charter would require that project owners answer a number of set questions before funders consider their grant application."
- Ashoka Changemakers Report: How Social Entrepreneurs are Creating Impact with Information and Communications Technology "The Intel Foundation and Ashoka have released a social innovation mapping report, How Social Entrepreneurs Are Changing Lives Through Information and Communication Technology (ICT): http://bit.ly/socenttech The report pinpoints the best practices of successful social entrepreneurs who use ICT to create impact that ripples out across a wide range of fields, including education, civic participation, economic development, and health."
- Teach For All: Teach For All Joins Global Commitment to Girls Education "Teach For All is proud to join more than 30 international organizations in a massive commitment to advancing girls’ education around the world. Wendy Kopp, CEO and Co-founder of Teach For All, joined Secretary Hillary Clinton and Prime Minister Julia Gillard to announce The Collaborative Harnessing Ambition & Resources for Girls Education (CHARGE) commitment today at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York City." Teach For All is a past New Profit portfolio organization.
- Boston Public Radio: When It Comes To Reforming Public Schools, America's Greatest Asset Is Its "Citizen Power" Boston Public Radio interviews Eric Schwarz, author of The Opportunity Equation and co-founder of Citizen Schools, on education in the United States. He states that now more than ever, huge gaps are springing up between upper-income and lower-income students and attributes those gaps "in part to the huge disparity between the amount of money upper-income parents are able to spend -- on tutoring, test preparation, summer camps, and other educational opportunities -- compared to lower-income parents. That ratio used to be 3:1, Schwarz says. Now it's 9:1." Citizen Schools is a past New Profit portfolio organization.
Tags: Ashoka, Citizen Schools, education, Hillary Clinton, Social Innovation News, Stanford Social Innovation Review, Clinton Global Initiative, College Summit, Teach For All, Technology, Julia Gillard, Boston Public Radio