Here's five interesting #SocInn links we're clicking on today:
- NBC: Commentary: Why We Can't Afford to Overlook Our Low-Income Youth Gerald Chertavian provides a powerful commentary on what motivated him to start Year Up, the work that the organization hopes to accomplish, and what lies ahead. "Our students are incredibly strong role models for their families and communities, and leaders in the movement to close the Opportunity Divide. Being able to serve witness as they launch their careers and change this country is an honor beyond any other." New Profit is a proud funder of Year Up.
- New York Times: The Big Topic on Campus: Racial ‘Microaggressions’ A look into "The social justice word du jour - 'microaggressions'... Across college campuses and social media, younger generations have started to challenge those fleeting comments that seem innocent but leave uneasy feelings behind."
- Politico: New data: Even 4-year-olds get suspended A look at new data from the US Department of Education shows that disparity in discipline starts in preschool: “Less than 1 percent of the 1 million students in preschool in 2011-2012 were suspended from school. But that translates into roughly 8,000 3-and 4-year olds. More than 2,500 were suspended more than once.”
- New York Times: Obama Promotes Women’s Economic Prospects "Pointing out that women earn 77 cents for every dollar men earn, the president called on reluctant lawmakers to pass the Paycheck Fairness Act, which would strengthen earlier bans on disparities in pay. The bill has failed twice during Mr. Obama’s presidency."
- NPR: Bush Foundation Promoting Common Education Standards Online, On Air "The education foundation founded by former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush has launched a new web site and advertising campaign to support the Common Core math and language arts standards facing criticism in many states. The campaign by the Foundation For Excellence in Education is called 'Learn More. Go Further'.” New Profit was honored to host Jeb Bush as a speaker at our 2012 Gathering of Leaders (photo below).
Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush at 2012 Gathering of Leaders. Photo: Shannon Finney Photography