Amazing work is being done in the New Profit community every day! Here are some recent highlights from our game changing organizations, partners, and friends.
- Integrating planning and PD saves time, gets results "If there’s one thing teachers and school leaders are short on, it’s time."
- To Teach a Child to Read, First Give Him Glasses "A growing body of research establishes that community schools can have an outsize impact. City Connects, which operates in 79 elementary schools mainly in the Northeast, has erased two-thirds of the achievement gap in math and half the achievement gap in English, compared with the Massachusetts statewide average. Students were substantially less likely to be chronically absent or held back, and the high school dropout rate was cut nearly in half. Other nationwide models, such as Communities in Schools, have succeeded in substantially reducing dropouts and raising graduation rates."
- Meet the Virtual Guidance Counselor "How digital programs are helping low-income kids get into college."
- Three things teachers had to say about accountability under the Every Student Succeeds Act "In response to proposed accountability regulations for the Every Student Succeeds Act, a team of Educators 4 Excellence teachers from around the country sent the following letter to U.S. Secretary of Education John King. In the letter, they urge federal policymakers not to miss key opportunities for teacher voice, resources and school climate."
- #AdvanceEquity Spotlight on FII "The Family Independence Initiative (FII) does away with the traditional top-down approach to helping people struggling with poverty. Rather than promoting a new program, service or intervention, our model sees families as the change agents, and we invest in them as well as the solutions they discover to overcome poverty."
- #AdvanceEquity: Family Independence Initiative (FII) "The Family Independence Initiative’s new model for fighting poverty harnesses the power of families working together to find solutions that meet their needs. FII creates spaces for families from similar backgrounds and experiences to organize and come together to overcome economic hurdles, from earning high school diplomas, to finding new jobs or opening their own small business. FII families report on their monthly progress and FII uses that data to identify what’s working and invest in initiatives that help families lead more economically secure lives."
- DM FoodCorps service member Jenetta Hargrove Is working for equity "Jenetta Hargrove served the Des Moines community as a member of FoodCorps Iowa during the 2015-16 school year. She is passionate about food justice and restructuring the US food system so that all people have access to healthy, locally grown food. Here is a Q&A interview with Jenetta that we think you’ll enjoy."
- #AdvanceEquity Spotlight on FoodCorps "Healthy food is an essential building block for a full life. But right now, we’ve got a generation of children that is overweight, vulnerable to diet-related disease, and more likely to suffer from a variety of health problems that will hold them back throughout their lifetimes. FoodCorps is a national nonprofit that connects kids to health food in school, so they can lead healthier lives and reach their full potential."
- #AdvanceEquity: Feeding a More Equitable Future "At the root of food insecurity and health disparities in America is inequity. Race, place, and class can determine if a child has knowledge of and access to healthy foods, which can in turn determine health outcomes. FoodCorps, an organization that connects kids to healthy food in school, believes that all of our nation’s children—regardless of these factors—should know what healthy food is, care where it comes from, and be able to eat it every day. By encouraging this culture of health in schools that need it most, our AmeriCorps service members are giving the students there a chance for better health outcomes and the better life opportunities that come with them."
- Better Together "Written and narrated by KIPPsters across the country, this video shares a message with their families, teachers, and supporters. It debuted at the Award Ceremony of KIPP School Summit 2016. Learn more about KIPP School Summit here."
- #AdvanceEquity Spotlight on LIFT "LIFT is a national nonprofit dedicated to helping families break the cycle of poverty. By fostering relationships between low-income parents (members) and dedicated volunteers (advocates), we help families build the strong personal, social and financial foundations to secure immediate, critical needs and to achieve long-term goals and aspirations."
- #AdvanceEquity: LIFT "The goals of #AdvanceEquity are reflected in every aspect of LIFT’s program model and work culture. LIFT embodies the core values of human potential, sense of possibility and collaboration. Our goal is to partner with families to empower parents as they navigate new avenues of opportunity and develop a strong social network. To listen to what they want and need for themselves and their children. LIFT’s goal is to create a holistic model that allows parents and caregivers to be the change agents of their families–no matter where they live."
- New Classrooms' Interactive Math Expands to 10 States "New Classrooms, a nonprofit geared toward personalizing education in schools, is expanding its 'Teach to One: Math' model to 13,000 students at 40 schools in 10 states and the District of Columbia this fall. The expansion represents more than 40 percent annual growth, according to a news release."
- Roca 101 [VIDEO]
"Roca’s mission is to disrupt the cycle of incarceration and poverty by helping young people transform their lives." Learn more in their new video!
- To Reach Transformative Scale, Transform the Conversation "There is no limit to what we can achieve, though, once we stop worrying about who gets credit. Year Up will never be the answer on its own, no matter how big we get, because scaling impact is much bigger than scaling an enterprise. Scaling impact requires being humble enough to know we can't do it alone."